Sunrise Session - Dr Travis Dorsch "Parent involvement in organized youth sport..."

"Parent involvement in organized youth sport: The…


Endangered Landscapes: America's National Lands

Endangered Landscapes: America's National Lands presents…


Lighting The Fire: Ceramics Education in the American West

August 16, 2016 to December 10, 2016. Opening Reception…


Transcendence: Abstraction and Symbolism in the American West

Showcasing NEHMA's important collection of art from the…


Fall Classes Begin

Fall Semester Begins

More events


Blogger Facebook Twitter You Tube RSS

Transfer FAQ

Who is considered a transfer student?

A student who has completed at least 24 semester college credits after high school graduation at an accredited institution is considered a transfer student at USU. Students with less than 24 transferable credits are required to send to USU their official high school transcript and ACT or SAT test scores.

Back To Top


How should I begin the transfer process?

Transfer students can find information about admission to USU and apply online at www.usu.edu/admissions/transfer. There is a $35 application fee that can be paid online at that time. They can also request a printed application by contacting the Admissions Office at 1-800-488-8108 or at the address below. Transfer students will need to contact each college and university they have attended and request that an official transcript be sent to:

Admissions Office
Utah State University
0160 Old Main Hill
Logan UT 84322-0160

Back To Top

When is the best time to apply to transfer?

The application deadline for summer and fall semesters is April 1; the deadline for spring semester is November 1. Transfer students can apply to USU at any time, but after these dates a $15 late fee will be assessed in addition to the $35 application fee.

Back To Top

What GPA will I need to be admitted?

Transfer students with at least 36 quarter or 24 semester credits earned at another accredited institution will be admitted to USU if they have a cumulative transfer grade point average (GPA) of 2.50 or higher. Those transfer students having a GPA between 2.20 and 2.49 will be considered on an individual basis and are likely to be admitted to USU. Many undergraduate majors require a higher GPA for admission to their program. For specific GPA requirements, refer to the General Catalog or major requirement sheets, or consult with the departmental academic advisors.

Back To Top

What happens if I don't qualify for the program I am interested in?

In cases where the student is admitted to the University but does not meet the minimum GPA requirement for admission to his or her desired major, admission will be offered as an "undeclared" major. If the student has more than 60 semester credits, he or she will not be admitted as undeclared and will need to select a different major.

Back To Top

When will my transfer credits be evaluated?

Once your admission file is complete, the Articulation Office will evaluate your transcripts to determine which courses will be accepted at USU. Accepted transfer courses will be posted to your USU transcript. Transfer work from in-state, and a handful of out-of-state, institutions is usually posted within 48 hours of receipt from the Admissions Office. Most out-of-state transfer work is posted within 4-6 weeks of receipt from Admissions.

Back To Top

How may I transfer credit to USU?

An official transcript from each institution attended must be sent to the Admissions Office. Faxed transcripts and/or copied transcripts will not be accepted. Transcripts submitted for admission purposes become the property of the University and cannot returned.

Back To Top

Do I need to submit transcripts from every institution I have attended?


Back To Top

What credits are transferable?

Remedial courses, audited courses, and courses taken at institutions that are not regionally accredited cannot be transferred to USU. Acceptance of credit should not be confused with its application. Transfer credit may or may not apply to the graduation requirements of an institution, regardless of the number of credits received.

Back To Top

What grades transfer? Can I get credit for pass/fail courses?

USU will accept and post each course with its associated grade from "A" through "F". However, an "A+" will convert to an "A", and a "D-" will convert to a "D". Credits with a "pass" grade will transfer, as well as credits with an "F" grade.

Back To Top

Why doesn't my USU transfer GPA match the GPA on the transcript from my transfer school?

The University evaluates all transfer credit based on USU's grading scale, and the weight of that scale could be different from other institutions.

Back To Top

How long does it take to be admitted?

Once your admissions file is complete, it usually takes one to two weeks for an admission decision to be made.

Back To Top

Does USU accept military credit?

The University may grant elective credit to students currently enrolled at USU who have served in the armed forces. The number of elective credits granted depends upon the length of military service. Other military credit may be accepted for transfer, if such credit meets University requirements. The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services is used by articulation personnel, in the Registrar's Office, for determining transfer of credit. Qualified applicants must submit the form DD214, form DD295, or an AARTS/SMART transcript to the Admissions Office. Credits are then evaluated for acceptance only when a Military Credit Evaluation form is submitted to articulation personnel in the Registrar's Office. The form and instructions can be found online at usu.edu/registrar/htm/forms/.

Back To Top

Does USU accept courses that were taken online?

Yes. If the courses were taken from a regionally accredited institution and are sent to USU on an official transcript, they will be accepted.

Back To Top

Does USU accept Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) classes that I took in high school?

Yes, USU will grant credit for Advanced Placement examinations, International Baccalaureate examinations, the College-Level Examination program (CLEP), and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests. Depending on your performance on these exams, varying levels of credit will be awarded. For specific credit allocation, please visit www.usu.edu/advising/.

Back To Top

What if I took courses at an international institution?

To initiate the evaluation of credits from an international institution, students need to provide the International Students and Scholars Office with an official transcript from each institution, along with a syllabus for each course, translated into English if necessary.

Back To Top

Is SOAR mandatory for transfer students? What orientation programs are available to transfer students?

If you are a transfer student who will have more than 24 post-high school semester credits (not including AP or concurrent enrollment credits), you are required to contact your advisor before registering for classes. You are not required to complete SOAR or pay the $100 University Deposit; however optional Transfer Information Days are available in the summer.

Transfer Information Day is an optional half-day program for transfer students who have at least 24 college credits (not including AP or concurrent enrollment).

Transfer Information Day focuses on giving you vital information that will make your transition to Utah State easier. Your time will be spent receiving critical information about policies, procedures, and resources specific to Utah State University. Though campus tours will be available for those who are interested, they are completely optional.

For more information about Transfer Information Days, go to

Back To Top

What majors and minors are available at USU? What are my degree program requirements?

For information about approved majors, minors, and emphases and their requirements, you can download major requirement sheets from: www.usu.edu/majorsheets/.

Back To Top

What are the General Education requirements at USU?

USU's University Studies Program consists of two components: General Education and Depth Education. For a complete explanation of the University Studies Program, including General Education requirements, please visit www.usu.edu/universitystudies.

Back To Top

Will USU accept my associate's degree? Will my General Education requirements be met if I already have an associate's or bachelor's degree?

Students who have an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree (or have completed the General Education requirements at the sending institution) from an approved institution will be deemed as having met the General Education portion of the University Studies requirements at USU. A list of approved institutions can be found at www.usu.edu/transfer/guide/institutional_agreements.cfm.

Back To Top

How should I contact my academic advisor?

Each student should consult with his or her academic advisor on a regular basis until the student's program of study is completed. Each student is responsible for learning and completing graduation requirements for academic programs selected. For a complete list of academic advisors by major, as well as their contact information, please visit www.usu.edu/advising/advisors/.

Back To Top

How is in-state residency determined?

For current residency information and requirements for the State of Utah, please visit www.usu.edu/admissions/information/residency.cfm/.

Back To Top

Can transfer students live in on-campus housing?

Yes, transfer students can live on campus. USU has housing for both undergraduate and graduate students, married and single. Assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis. There is not an application deadline, but it best to apply early if the student has a preferred building choice. The easiest way to apply is online at www.housing.usu.edu. At this website, students can apply and select the building of their choice, and receive immediate confirmation of their building assignment. Students without Internet access can apply by mail or fax. To request a housing brochure, please call 1-800-863-1085.

Back To Top

Where can I learn about financial aid?

Financial Aid information can be found at www.usu.edu/finaid/.

Back To Top

What off-campus housing options are available?

Click here for a partial list of conveniently located apartment complexes. You may also want to check classified ads in the local newspaper.

Back To Top

I have read the questions and answers on this page, but still have unanswered questions. With whom can I speak to obtain additional information?

Please contact Brandy Reeves in the Articulation Office (brandy.reeves@usu.edu)

Back To Top